Sunday, October 26, 2008

New York, New York



At the train station in Greenwich---ready for NYC baby!

Kylee and I spent my last weekend in NYC going to SoHo, Greenwich Village, and Ground Zero. We had a blast just walking around the city and soaking it all in! We wanted to go to SoHo and Greenwich Village to see if we could see anyone famous (that's where they all are). We absoutely loved it---loved seeing all the cute shops, including that one rice pudding place on Hitch...that's got to be one of the coolest mini restaurants I've ever seen! We ate lunch at the cutest place in Greenwich Village, it was PACKED---we were totally in our prime! We just fell in love with that part of town and both agreed that we could totally see ourselves living down there (in an adorable apartment above all these cute stores!). I didn't take too many pictures of Greenwich Village or SoHo (don't know why), but here's a mini-tour of our Ground Zero moment.



I'm LOVIN NYC!!


This was my "tourist" moment.



Kylee and I at Ground Zero (I felt kind of guilty smiling for a picture because of the emotion that is always there)



As Kylee and I were walking around NYC, it hit me how everyone must have totally FREAKED OUT on 9/11 because everywhere you go, and everywhere you look is tall buildings. There's no where to run. It freaked me out looking up at the sky and thinking about it. It was CRAZY!




On the fence at the World Trade Center, they had big posters of images that were captured on that horrific day. This is the one that just tugged at my heart strings! I couldn't help but cry as I humbly stood looking at this picture. 



Another display they had was a timeline (minute by minute) of what exactly happened that day with each plane from take off.

Pictures just don't do justice as I try and show everyone what ground zero looks like. It's just a pit and workers are still, to this day, trying to even the ground to begin building the new "Freedom Tower."


This list of hero's go all the way around a LONG fence. It was amazing to see how many people lost their lives on that day; a day none of us will forget.

My heart sank just seeing this in the subway.


Can you guess what part of town this is?


We saw this in NYC- The shoes on the string represents drug dealing. We thought it was hilarious with the flag waving in the back---
"God Bless the USA!"



Just pretend this is Ladder 49---we could have walked down to it, but these firefighters were so friendly!

I do have to say that Ground Zero was.....I have no words. My heart just sank as we walked up the fence of the exact spot it all happened. Memories came flooding back of where I was when I found out (I was in Rexburg, ID----arguably the safest place to be at the time, because no one knows where it is). A renewed feeling of pride in our country came to me---memories of crying as I listened to President Bush announce what was happening in our country; when he went to ground zero and spoke with a mega-phone to all the FDNY and NYPD and all the volunteers as they were chanting "USA, USA, USA!" I'll never forget the feelings I felt! We grew stronger together as a nation, in the midst of terrorist attacks!

No comments: